Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Ice Age

After a few inches of snow, a half-inch of ice, and another dusting of snow on Sunday night, I was kind of amazed that we still had power when I woke up at 5:30 Monday morning. I got ready for work, said goodbye to Kevin and Harry, and got in the car after some serious ice scraping. As I drove down our street on my way to the hospital, I saw a blue light flash behind me twice. I thought I was being pulled over, but didn't see anyone behind me. I shrugged it off and kept driving.

When I went to my break at 8:30, I had a message from Kevin telling me our power had gone out one minute after I left: mystery solved.

So, below-freezing temps, but no big deal because Kevin and I were at work and Harry was at daycare.

But then I had another message: Harry threw up at daycare, and I needed to pick him up within the hour.

And another message: Kevin was scheduled not at the main hospital but an offsite with two doctors' offices and a phlebotomy/x-ray office, which had no power, so he was on his way home too.

We ended up spending the rest of the day and the night at my parents' house (thanks, Mom and Dad!), where there was also no electricity, but a gas fireplace in their bedroom kept us all cozy, so long as we kept the door shut. And sleeping in a warm room on the hard floor was definitely better than sleeping in a cold room on a soft bed. Happily, we had our power back by dinner last night, and things are getting back to normal around here. Not nearly as much fun as Blizzard of 2011, but at least we're plugged in again.

No comments: