Thursday, November 13, 2008

My DIYness Is Something to Behold

Not to brag, but I'm making all of Harry's baby food (other than cereal) myself. My motivations are threefold: healthy, fresh food for my baby; saving money; and bragging. That thing I said earlier about not bragging? Lie.

I'm not a great cook, (ask anyone), but I found really great information and recipes (can one ingredient really constitute a recipe? Maybe I found information and directions) on this website while I was pregnant and printed off various fruits and vegetables.

Since a baby can only have a new food every three to four days, Harry's gastronomic experiences to date consist of sweet potatoes, acorn squash, and applesauce. Applesauce is by far his least favorite, and he actually makes a gagging sound when he eats it. I made peas last night, which was a lot more time intensive because it involved pressing my not-so-pureed puree through a mesh strainer, but the bright green cubes of frozen peas in the freezer look a lot more appetizing than the gray-green jars I saw today at the grocery store.

And seriously, can you beat 5 cents a serving?

No comments: