Sunday, February 21, 2010

Ravelympics!

What, you may be asking yourself, are the Ravelympics? So glad you asked! The Ravelympics are a two-week fiber art extravaganza that happen to coincide with the Olympics. Those who knit, crochet, or weave challenge themselves to complete a project - or many - between Opening Ceremonies and Closing Ceremonies. The "host country" is Ravelry, which is a social networking site for knitters. I've been told it's Facebook for knitters, but as I avoid Facebook like the plague, I can't really verify that statement.

Anyhow, my challenge to myself was to knit this little sweater. As you may have surmised, I did in fact finish this before Closing Ceremonies. It's organic cotton (love!) and size 18 months, so while it would probably fit Harry and look adorable, it is intended for my adorable nephew Silas.

Maybe the coolest thing about the Ravelympics is the fact that I got medals. Nothing tangible, mind you, but look! Here they are!

My Ravthlete badge! (Probably the equivalent of "Participant" but I'll take it!)

My Junior Olympics badge, because the sweater was knit for a tiny person:

My Cable Cross-Country badge, cable being the twist up the front of the sweater:

And my Sweater Board Cross badge, because, well, I knit a sweater:

I won't even tell you how tickled I was to get these because it reveals me to be the dork that I am. (Did I just give it away there?) This was, however, the bright spot in an otherwise crap day. Full disclosure: I have a head cold, my folded laundry has been staring at me for three days, and I got a 67% on my hematology quiz. Anyone who wants to comment and reassure me that I'm not a complete and utter moron is welcome to do so.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Of course you are not a complete and utter moron!! You just knitted a fabulous and cute baby sweater with CABLES! Ooooohhhh. The sweater turned out awesome. Maybe you should print out your medals and laminate them:)

Max and Mandy said...

You deserved the gold, man!