Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Where Is the Pope Getting His Info?

I caught a piece of this while watching the news and eating lunch: Apparently, the use of condoms "increases the problem" of AIDS in Africa, according to Pope Benedict XVI. I'm not sure who the Pope has been talking to -- God, maybe? -- but I'm pretty sure properly-used condoms actually decrease the spread of AIDS.

After a little digging, I also found this gem from 2005, in which the Pope says the greatest threats to Africa include "prostitution, human trafficking and a contraception mentality." I'm totally with you on the human trafficking, Father, and probably prostitution too, but contraception? Really? A continent literally plagued by AIDS and rife with orphans is threatened by the use of condoms?

FYI, people aren't going to suddenly stop having sex for pleasure if condoms are not available, so I'm throwing this "contraception mentality" theory out the window.

No comments: