Saturday, December 20, 2008

Tiny Palate

It's 9:45 on Saturday night, and I'm blogging about baby food. I'd like to say that before the baby I would have been drinking champagne, wearing unbelievable shoes, and dancing with my husband, but honestly I usually didn't do anything so glamorous. A typical pre-baby Saturday night might have involved a movie and a walk.

Regardless, Harry has been asleep for an hour and a half and Kevin and I just finished watching I ❤ Huckabees for the second time, (I'm super proud that I was able to use a heart icon instead of typing out "heart"), so I thought it might be time to update Nothing Fancy.

Harry's been on a pretty strict three-day wait rule between new foods. For those of you not feeding an infant, doctors/nutritionists/pretty much everyone recommends waiting three days after introducing New Food A before introducing New Food B. This is supposed to make it easier to determine which (if any) food is causing baby problems. The only con (in my opinion) with this approach is that it takes a pretty long time to get baby eating a variety of foods.

But today we added spinach to Harry's repertoire! I was shocked that he not only ate it - he really will try anything once - but actually did so without making a face or his classic gagging sound. Spinach is only the newest food, joining sweet potatoes, acorn and butternut squash, peas, carrots, green beans, pears, peaches, applesauce, pumpkin, banana, avocado, rice, oats, and prunes. It did take several weeks to get to this sizable a list, but with no food reactions, it was well worth it.

It's kind of embarrassing that Harry eats a better variety of vegetables than I do. I'm so excited that he's eating all of these wonderful foods, but I worry that in a year or two he's going to be like every other kid I know and cement his lips when presented with squash or beans. My theory is this: I, his mother, only really like three or four vegetables, and Kevin is the same way, so I find myself cooking green beans, peas, and carrots over and over again, occasionally turning to the odd salad. So once Harry is eating "table food" he won't be offered squash or spinach, mostly because Kevin and I don't want to eat it.

Is this how babies who enthusiastically eat pumpkin become toddlers that only eat crackers, Cheerios, and tiny cookies? I guess Kevin and I are going to have to rediscover some of these things we purportedly loved when we were babies ourselves.

No comments: