Thursday, December 06, 2007

Knowing When to Stop

I had some spare time this afternoon, what with getting home early from class and having a little delay in work getting sent to me, so I decided to try out a new recipe for Christmas. I usually make cream cheese mints for the holidays, because so many people I know don't like cookies or chocolate.

I know: There's something wrong with these people, but I love them anyway.

Today I tried my standard cream cheese mint recipe but replaced the peppermint with lemon extract. The results were delicious but now I'm regretting the 10 or so I ate as I worked. I had a big glass of water and some Tums, but all the Tums really did was remind how yummy peppermint is too. . .

2 comments:

frances said...

cream cheese mints? and lemons? i have never heard of something so delicious. can you reveal the recipe?

Kate said...

4 oz. cream cheese
4 c. powdered sugar
1/2 t. lemon extract OR peppermint extract
1-2 drops food coloring
cornstarch (up to 1 c.)
1/2 c. granulated sugar

Mix cream cheese. Add sugar slowly. Add cornstarch a few tablespoons at a time until it the dough is thick enough to roll into balls without making a mess in your hands. Add extract and food coloring.

Roll into half-inch balls. Roll balls in granulated sugar and flatten a little with the bottom of a glass or the tines of a fork. Store in the fridge for up to a week.