Friday, January 09, 2009

A Book I Can't Put Down

I'm about halfway through The Road and absolutely do not want to know what happens and at the same time cannot wait to keep reading. I've made it through about 200 pages in the last 24 hours, which is pretty amazing because I'm reading without neglecting Harry or work. I did, however, make it through the entire day without doing a scrap of housework, but that isn't necessarily out of the ordinary anyway.

This made me think of the handful of books that have had this effect on me in the past: Night by Elie Wiesel, the diary of Anne Frank, The Time Traveler's Wife, and The Historian. I'm also going to add Outlander to this list knowing very well that I may be mocked for doing so. Oh! And Bel Canto.

So, Dedicated Reader (Readers? Nah!), what are the books from which you could not tear yourself?

4 comments:

T. Michael W. Halcomb said...

Both, "The Chosen" and "Zebra and Other Stories" by Chaim Potok and "The Social God and the Relational Self" by Stan Grenz.

Alison said...

I felt the exact same way reading The Road. So good.
I've been wanting to read Bel Canto. Now that you and my sister have both said similar things about it, it has been bumped up the "To Read" list.
Right now, I'm reading American Gods. My sister recommended it to me and I'm really enjoying it, but it's not quite "can't tear myself away" (close, though). The last book I did that with recently was Water for Elephants.

Bria said...

I could not put down the Historian. Most other books I start get interrupted by school work lately...

frances said...

that totally happened to me with bel canto and the time traveler's wife, too. just finished one called never let me go that was pretty gripping. and depressing. (just to warn you.)