Tuesday, July 03, 2007

No Surprise

Imagine my shock when CNN reported that George W. commuted the sentence of Lewis Libby. Personally, I think the man should be put away for being in his 50s and answering to the name "Scooter," but I digress. I suppose I can at least be grateful that the sentence was commuted as opposed to a full presidential pardon: at least this way his record still has that glaring, red mark for perjury. Of course, a press conference today revealed that a full pardon hasn't been ruled out entirely.

Again, I'm not surprised. After all, George famously promised to fire anyone in his administration who had leaked the name of undercover CIA operative Valerie Plame, yet Karl Rove remains gainfully employed. Maybe a commutation is the best I could have hoped for. I just hope Libby had a few sleepness nights, pondering his impending incarceration, before the news broke.

No comments: